Sunday, November 20, 2011

Why do I bother?


This week was one of those weeks, unfortunately things in my private life went to the dumps and with me having this awesome/horrible habit of wearing feelings on my sleeve, it poured into the school scenario. I wanted to collect my thoughts on the situation that happened this last week and organize them so I knew what was me being an asshole and what was the actual professional feelings. I think I got it figured out, so let me explain my situation; I have moved to Milwaukee; which is three hours away from my family, put myself into a near poverty state, taking on the highest position in our student project and working for a company where I make no money what so ever, dive hours into tutorials to learn what is required of me and for the better part of my time alone at home. 

So with all that said when I put soooo much into this education, how come it is so hard for someone to read a few tutorials learn a few basic things in game engine that relate to his portion of the course. It bothers me to see someone, with talent mind you, not put the minimal effort to do to this industry, especially when it's wildly known to be one of the hardest industries to get into, with a 25% employment rate. ARRRRrrgggghh. The worst part is, I'm not necessarily one of those who is willing to leave those who don't pull their weight behind for the wolves to get. So I pushed. I tried to get him to do something he has never done and see if he could do it. What happened, he dug in his heels plopped his butt down and said I don't wanna (in so many words) just like a mule on a stubborn streak. Where is the crop when you need it? In any case that is what I think about that.

The rest of the week was ok, as said before with me worried about other things I didn't put 100% this week and I think I may have hurt my position a little bit because of it. I think it's something I am going to have to fix  this next week.

The project looks good though, we are moving into our 2nd sprint and aside for some project management issues I feel we are on a really good track to finish this part of the game before the end of the semester. I just need to hope on my portion of the work and get some assets out to Jeanette for her game and get my butt on some other things. SO /onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment