Monday, November 7, 2011

Sprint 2 Planning

Ok so a lot has happened since the last time I blogged.

1st of all I needed to change my blog over to a more affordable medium, ie free. So some of the stuff I couldn't get back on here but I did find some of the stuff I wrote in Word and put them on here so you at least you can see where I started.

2ndly we are almost done with our 1st sprint of the game development of thee 1st part of the ARG and I am getting a HUGE impact from trying to run the production of this thing almost blind. I may have been a manager before but this is a whole new challenge style of doing things. There are deadlines, quality control, creative insight, and a major call for a lot of communication. There is so much to do just as the top that I didn't even realize there was to do. Dealing with Scrums, leads and even member issues is just, wow. I am giving everyone props who does this style of management and is in the game industry, it is a little nuts. But FUN! :D

So back onto the actual ARG production, the story has gotten it together finally after a huge tussle with the story line and the video. There was some descent on what story should be. The people involved should have thought, ok how can we make a good story, and what will work for what we are doing rather than but I want this like this because I wrote it. The other issue, the video, had a similar scenario but it was more of one person have not enough tact when dealing out criticisms and the other person involved taking the criticisms too personally. The good thing about both altercations was it brought to light some major issues that the video was suffering from, which was the scope of the video and what the video should have been designed to do.

The video was more or less solved by a major direction change for the video which required a roadmap, or flowchart per say, to show what should be the objectives of the video and what needed to be added to the video. So because all I could see was the team sitting there and arguing about this, I made the roadmap for video and submitted for approval for the whole group. Thankfully they all liked it and now we actually have a framework for the whole per-portfolio ARG and got everyone moving towards the bigger goal, a working game.

 We also have issues dealing with the Mini-Games but this seems more like a lack of knowledge of how to do things rather than not working together, though they do have that issue as well as a issue of people just not working. PFFFTT there is always one.

My third and final major event in terms of school is that today we sprint planned our Sprint 2 Features with the hope of getting the Pre_Arg game done by the end of the Semester. We started with retrospectives which revealed we are not being as transparent as we should. Which means I need to continue hammering on the Silcat updating and getting people to start paying  attention as well as giving input. So after that, we did our stand-ups and then moved onto the roadmap and poker planning.  I will be honest I am kind of disappointed in how it went today. I decided I needed to get the build team setup properly for the website. Afterwards I am feeling that with the amount of working going to be coming from the Website team and the Story I am going to need to make a separate scrum for them, despite me moving them to the now newly renamed Website team. PFffffttttt. I also know that it looks like the both the Website team and the Story team are not done with making their features and tasks, which I wish went better but we are still new at this guess I can't wish for too much.
Ending on a good note I got the Wayne and Marc to poker plan with me and got all their features for building the  website and I need to get them a list of things to sign up for tasks and then I can add them all into Silcat and they are ready for Sprint 2 :D

SO that is what is going on in school, I will write on the personal life tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment