Friday, February 3, 2012

Global Game Jam 2012

I went to the Global Game Jam this past weekend. For my first time participating I felt very good about the results. But let me explain what the GGJ is first.

The Global Game Jam is an event where computer nerds, game hobbyists  and students form groups around the world to see what they can make in 48 hrs. The people who organized the event set it up so that we have a place on the site as well as our own stream so people can sit at their computer and watch us be at our computers. People do it!. I think we had a steady 8 people watching us, though I will say that it was probably eight of us watching ourselves. Kind of pointless but I did have people I know hop on and get me to say, "Hey"

In any case I enjoyed the experience and learned so much about how an agile based company works and how it related to the game development. The biggest thing I had learned was the importance of using lean when in a scrum scenario which is basically focusing on the basic framework of our game rather then try to add tons of content. We followed this structure up until about 2/3 of the event and then fatigue set in. We stopped tracking our progress and tasks and didn't notice that our framework was WAY too big. So we barely got our game up.

I have concluded in the end I would love to do this again but not anytime soon, maybe in the summer. Here the link to our game, we plan on getting together again sometime just to fix the bugs so we all have something added to our portfolios.

http://globalgamejam.org/2012/temple-feathered-serpent

hope you have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment